Mushroom Barley Soup
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
- 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1-2 medium carrots, diced
- 4-5 skinless chicken thighs (with bones) or drumsticks
- 2-3 portabella mushrooms or 2 cups of white mushrooms, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of barley (not cooked)
- 6 cups of water
- 3-4 medium size potatoes, large cubes
Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil of your choice. Sauté garlic, onion and carrots for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add chicken, mix the meat with vegetables and sear it on all sides for 3-5 minutes. Then add mushrooms and barley, stir all the ingredients in a pot and cook for 3 more minutes. You can season your ingredients again and add the water. Bring your soup to a boil, add potatoes and decrease the heat to maintain a simmer until barley and potatoes are cooked. Skim the foam and most of the fat from the surface of the soup with large spoon.
Taste the broth and add more seasoning if necessary.