Your Guide to Snacking + 8 Snacks Under 200 Calories
Don’t underestimate the power of a GOOD SNACK! It doesn’t just curb your appetite – it allows you to feel more energized, alert at work and do a much better job during your workout! Snacks keep your blood glucose level steadier since they prevent its dips throughout the day.
However a bad choice of snack can actually sabotage your mood and mostly important your fitness goals! Therefore we recommend you to follow a few guidelines when it comes to snacking:
- Make sure you are having a snack because you actually hungry and not because you are bored.
- Have a snack 2-3 hours after you meal or 30-60 min before your workout to ensure a productive gym session. Please note: some people need more time to digest pre workout snack properly and some can’t eat before training at all. Therefore there is no one-fits-all rule here! You’ll have to try and see what works the best for you.
- Stay away from snacks that have no nutrition value such as chips, candies, chocolate bars, pretzels, cupcakes, cookies, etc. On top of being useless from nutritional point of view, they are extremely addictive! Yes, I’m talking about salt & sugar addictions… the more you have it the more you want it so break out of this vicious cycle!
- Keep healthy snacks easily accessible to you at home, work, school and on the go. In this case you won’t be tempted to eat all the empty calorie options we mentioned above.
- Always choose snacks that have protein and fiber in it.
- Keep your snack portion under control (100-200 calories per snack). Eating “too much of a good thing” is often a hidden reason why you don’t loose weight.
“Too many rules!”- you say…Well, not really. I’m just trying to be detailed because little mistakes can lead to a big failure!
There is a list of GOOD SNACKS that are easy to make (or requires no cooking at all), handy to fit in your purse and eat on the go!
Plain Greek Yogurt with “Nutty” Granola & Berries
Calories – 190/Protein -16g/Total Carbs – 16g/Sugar – 10g/Fats – 6g/Fiber – 2g
- 1 small container (150 g) of plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp of “Nutty” granola (check out the recipe)
- 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen berries
Fruit + Nuts
Calories – 170/Protein – 3g/Total Carbs – 29g/Sugar – 16g/Fats – 6g/Fiber – 7g
- 1 pear
- 8 cashew nuts
You can pick and choose fruits that you like but keep in mind that grapes, mangos, bananas, pineapples … are higher in sugar than others. Berries, on the other side, are lower in sugar than most of the fruits so you can opt for them instead!
Hummus with Veggie Sticks
- 2 oz (57g) small hummus container
- 1 large carrot
Calories – 170/Protein – 5g/Total Carbs – 14g/Sugar – 4g/Fats – 11g/Fiber – 4g
Pick the veggies you love such as celery, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato. All of them are low in calories, high in fiber and vitamins!
Whole Grain High Fiber Toast with Avocado & Tomato
Calories – 156/Protein – 4g/Total Carbs – 20g/Sugar – 3g/Fats – 7g/Fiber – 7g
- whole grain high fiber toast (1/2 slice Mestemacher “Fitness Bread” or any other whole grain bread with high fiber content)
- 1/4 of avocado
- 1 small tomato
Whole Grain High Fiber Toast with Nut butter & Banana
Calories – 190/Protein – 4g/Total Carbs – 24g/Sugar – 7g/Fats – 8g/Fiber – 5g
- whole grain high fiber toast (1/2 slice of Mestemacher “Fitness Bread” or any other whole grain bread with high fiber content)
- 1 tbsp of unsweetened peanut butter (or any other nut butter of your choice)
- 1/3 banana
Homemade Oatmeal Cookie
Calories – 111/Protein – 2g/Total Carbs – 14g/Sugar – 5g/Fats – 6g/Fiber – 2g
This nutritional info is calculated for 1 cookie. Usually you end up with 7-8 medium size cookies if you follow our recipe closely. Give our Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Nuts & Chocolate Chips a try! It will only take 30 minutes to make this killer snack from scratch:)
Calories – 150/Protein – 2g/Total Carbs – 19g/Sugar – 13g/Fats – 4g/Fiber – 3g
If follow the recipe closely you’ll end up with 8-9 bites.
Calories – 104/Protein – 2g/Total Carbs – 28g/Sugar – 18g/Fats – 6g/Fiber – 3g
If follow the recipe closely you’ll end up with 11-12 bites